Haiti and GMercyU United in Spirit and Story
慈善组织聚焦海地 is a ministry of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. Its members are led to service and solidarity with people who are materially poor, especially those living in Haiti. They partner with the Haitian people to meet their unmet needs and we collaborate with like-minded organizations.
自2018年以来, the GMercyU community has embraced the efforts of this ministry by seeking opportunities to support on-ground efforts through service, 奖学金, 教育, 和筹款.
To learn more about Haiti, visit our 图书馆 Guide.
GMercyU first engaged with 慈善组织聚焦海地 (MFOH) in 2018 when a team of faculty, 工作人员, and student delegates visited Gros Morne, Haiti to learn about the various programs offered by MFOH. With an initial hope to engage with our Haitian partners through travel to Gros Morne, since then political unrest in Haiti and the global pandemic challenged us to explore creative ways to collaborate with our international partners from home.
Theme and 任务 for 2023
项目: Cistern Fundraiser for Safe Drinking Water
One cistern allows the people of Gros Morne, Haiti to collect 1,000-1,500 gallon of rainwater. Rainwater harvesting provides clean water to the community for drinking and for gardens, and helps control soil erosion. 没有蓄水池, water collection usually falls to women and children who must walk one to two hours to collect river water and carry it back uphill to their homes.
活动开始: February 1, 2023, continues throughout Spring semester
事件: Join us on February 21, 2023 for presentation on this project from the 慈善组织聚焦海地 members. Learn more and register here!
What Your Funds Will Buy
$11 – day laborer salary for one day (3 laborers work for 5 days on each cistern)
$11 – spigot and piping
$20 – one day of meals for masons and laborers (5 days needed)
$24 – one bag of cement (17 bags are used to build a cistern)
$36 – eaves, downspouts and fixtures to gather the rainwater from roofs
$42 – steel rebar for cistern reinforcement
$50 – qualified mason (2 are needed to supervise and build the cistern)
$60 – community organizer (works with village to prepare and train for maintenance)
$93 – shipping, handling, transportation of cistern materials to village
$100 – master mason (to purchase materials and oversee the project)
The Gwynedd Mercy University community was thrilled to present a $3600 donation to benefit the Lekól Jesi-Mari (Jesus & 玛丽小学). 今年春天, our community held a fundraising campaign that engaged students, 工作人员, faculty who were humbled to learn about the efforts and community work provided by the school.
社会工作, Occupational Therapy, and Public 健康 faculty members at GMercyU partnered with 慈善组织聚焦海地 in 2021 to conduct a secondary data analysis of the Chemin Lavi Miyo (CLM) program, also known as Pathway to a Better Life. The research project seeks to understand the factors that contribute to sustained outcomes for CLM graduates in the two years following graduation from the program. Anticipated results are expected in Spring 2022 and the team looks forward to engaging GMercyU students with our partners at CLM in responding to the findings of the study. 在这里了解更多信息: Chemin Lavi Miyò Leads a Woman Out of Ultra-Poverty
Here are a few more examples of our innovative community-engaged learning projects from the past several years:
- GMercyU Sends Team to Haiti for Immersion Experience
- GMercyU 社会工作 学生s Raise $600 for Chateau D'eau
- GMercyU Sponsors Pillowcase Drive for 慈善组织聚焦海地
- MFH - Pillowcase Drive
- 慈善组织聚焦海地 Liaison 访问s 社会工作 Class
- GMercyU Psychology 学生s Presents Research about Ultra Poverty
GMercyU 慈善组织聚焦海地 Team
- Cindy Casey, Program Director and Assistant Professor of Practice, Computer Information Science
- Tatiana Diaz, Assistant Vice President of DEI
- James Gallo, Vice President for 任务 Integration
- Mindy MacRone-Wojton, Assistant Professor, Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy
- Thomas Mernar, Associate Professor and Director, Occupational Therapy
- Janice Nuss, Assistant Professor & Director of Field Education, 社会工作
- Mary Jo Pierantozzi, Assistant Professor, Education
- Betsy Stone Plummer, Director of 服务 and 凯瑟琳的橱柜
- Jill Winnington, Assistant Dean and Business Program Director
- Sharla Willis, Program Director, Public 健康